“Traditional Marketing” refers to marketing our products and services using older, more conventional methods such as newspapers, TV, and radio. On the other hand, Digital Marketing uses online platforms to get our message out there. No matter the traditional or digital mode of advertising, an average individual will likely see thousands of ads in a single day.
Marketing is getting people interested in and buying your product or service. In today’s world, marketing has shifted from physical to digital methods. You need to have a strong online presence and use digital tools to reach your target market. It’s not wrong to say that people are bombarded with ads every day, whether online or offline.
Now, let’s talk about the differences between traditional and digital marketing. With traditional marketing, the reach is limited to a specific geographic area. However, digital marketing has a global reach because ads can be placed online and viewed by people worldwide. It is one of the significant advantages of digital marketing. In this post, we’ll break down the differences between traditional and digital marketing and show you which ones are working the best for us right now. Read on!
WHAT IS TRADITIONAL MARKETING?
Traditional marketing, also known as direct marketing, is a marketing strategy that uses personal, face-to-face communication to deliver a sales pitch to potential customers. It includes direct mail, print advertising and personal selling. Traditional marketing is often used in conjunction with digital marketing to reach the most people and generate the highest return on investment (ROI).
The primary purpose of traditional marketing is to attract new customers by getting them to purchase goods or services. Once they are satisfied with their purchase and have received their product or service, they will recommend it to others. It is how word-of-mouth advertising works.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT FORMS OF TRADITIONAL MARKETING – HOW CAN THEY BE USED?
On the internet, International marketing is still a very effective form of marketing. Traditional marketing is any paid or free exposure that is not online. It includes TV and radio ads, billboards, flyers and more.
The most common forms of traditional marketing include:
Billboards are large posters or signs usually placed along highways or busy streets. A company will rent out a billboard space from the owner and then use it for advertising its products or services. Billboards can be effective if they’re creative and catchy enough to catch the attention of passing drivers or pedestrians. If not well designed, however, they may simply look like an eyesore on the side of the road!
Handouts are flyers and pamphlets that you hand out to people who walk by your booth or storefront. You can do this at trade shows, conventions, or anywhere else where people gather together in one place. You can also hand out these materials at events or business meetings to promote your product or service.
Direct mail refers to any type of communication sent directly from sender to recipient without passing through an intermediary (such as email). For example, businesses often use it for advertising their products or services to reach prospects who have not previously been contacted by phone or email but may be interested in what you have to offer. Such communications typically take the form of letters, postcards or flyers, which are sent out using postal services such as the USPS (United States Postal Service).
Event marketing involves promoting an event through advertising or other means before the event takes place. Event marketers often use social media to spread the word about their circumstances before they happen. These days, people expect businesses to announce their events on Facebook and Twitter beforehand, so if you’re planning an event, be sure to do so as early as possible!
Print ads are still used today in traditional marketing campaigns because they are relatively inexpensive compared with other forms of advertising. Print ads can be found in newspapers and magazines or displayed on billboards along highways or major roads. You can even create print ads that will appear weekly in local newspapers or magazines if you have enough money left after all other expenses are paid.
Broadcasting refers to sending out messages in various newspapers, television, and radio formats. It is a way of reaching many people at once and allows you to gain attention quickly. However, this type of marketing doesn’t allow for much interaction with your audience, so it isn’t always effective for building customer relationships.
Referral marketing involves getting your existing customers to refer your product or service to friends, family or colleagues. It was one of the earliest forms of traditional marketing when friends would recommend products they liked to each other. It is still relevant today as 88% of consumers trust online reviews written by other consumers as much as they trust recommendations from personal contacts.
Cold-calling is one of the most common forms of traditional marketing. It involves contacting potential customers by phone or email to offer the goods or services. Cold-calling is most effective when used alongside other conventional forms of marketing, such as advertising.
WHY ARE TRADITIONAL MARKETING METHODS EFFECTIVE?
Traditional marketing methods are effective because of the following reasons:
THEY REACH A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE:
Traditional marketing can reach many people, as it is not limited by digital platforms like social media or websites.
THE AUDIENCE IS TARGETED:
Traditional marketing methods allow you to target specific groups of people interested in your product or service. It will enable you to focus your efforts on those most likely to convert into customers.
YOU GET TO ENGAGE WITH YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE DIRECTLY:
Traditional marketing allows you to directly interact with your target audience by speaking and selling face-to-face or through print advertising and other forms of media that allow for direct interaction with consumers.
IT PROVIDES BETTER OPPORTUNITIES FOR CREATIVITY AND PERSONALISATION:
It provides better opportunities for creativity and personalisation, which helps create a solid brand image for your business. When you create a TV commercial or print ad, there is no limit to how creative you can get and what kind of message you can convey. For example, you can use humour, emotion, or any other type of persuasion to attract customers.
WHAT KIND OF BUSINESSES CAN USE THIS TRADITIONAL MARKETING?
Traditional marketing is ideal for businesses with a physical store location and a lot of inventory to sell. It includes retail shops, restaurants, hotels, airlines and more. ECommerce companies can also use traditional marketing to promote their online stores.
WHAT IS DIGITAL MARKETING?
Digital marketing is a blanket term for marketing products or services using digital technologies, mainly on the InterneInternetlso, including mobile phones, display advertising, and any other digital medium.
The term encompasses traditional online marketing techniques, such as search engine optimisation (SEO), pay per click (PPC) advertising, email marketing and social media marketing, and new online marketing techniques such as content marketing, influencer marketing and crowdsourcing.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT DIGITAL MARKETING FORMS- HOW CAN THEY BE USED?
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION (SEO)
SEO is a technique of optimising your website to appear higher in search engine results when someone searches for keywords related to your business or industry. You can do it through various techniques, including link building, content creation, and social media engagement with users in your target market.
PPC advertising is an excellent way to drive traffic to your site by paying each time someone clicks on an ad that you’ve created. While it’s not as effective as other forms of digital marketing because it’s more expensive and harder to track results, PPC marketing can be effective if you know how to set up campaigns using Google AdWords or Facebook Ads Manager.
SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
Social media has changed the way people interact with brands. From Facebook and Instagram to Twitter and LinkedIn, people spend more time on social networks than ever before. As a result, it’s no longer enough to have a website with some information about your company; you need an active presence on social media too!
Content marketing is one of the most effective ways to reach potential customers online. Content marketing involves creating content that attracts people’s attention and encourages them to take action (e.g., buy your product). If done right, it can be a potent tool for growing your business at a low cost compared with other forms of advertising such as TV commercials or print ads.
Email marketing involves sending an email to your customers and prospects. Email marketing aims to inform your customers about new products or services, price changes, and other important information that may affect them. It can also be used as part of a sales process by encouraging customers to take advantage of special offers or discounts.
Mobile marketing refers to any type of advertising done through mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. Mobile marketing can include text messages, phone calls, and video or audio clips sent directly to a consumer’s device without permission.
It refers to collecting, analysing, and reporting information related to customers’ or potential customers’ behaviour to gain insights into their needs and wants. It can predict trends and make decisions based on data rather than intuition or guesswork.
It refers to online merchants paying affiliates a commission for driving sales through social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter or recommending products on blogs or websites that they own or have a stake in (i.e., as an affiliate marketer).
WHY ARE DIGITAL MARKETING METHODS EFFECTIVE?
The following are the reasons why digital marketing methods are effective:
-Digital marketing is a cost-effective way of reaching out to the target audience.
-It allows you to customise your offers and target individuals or groups with similar characteristics.
-Digital marketing provides better ROI (return on investment) than traditional marketing channels.
-Digital marketing helps you track, measure and analyse consumer behaviour patterns. As a result, it enables you to arrive at more accurate conclusions, alter your strategies accordingly and generate better results.
WHAT KIND OF BUSINESSES USE DIGITAL MARKETING
All businesses can benefit from digital marketing. If you’re running a business (regardless of the size), you need to be on social media and have a website to which you can direct your audience. And if you’re not able to run these yourself, you’ll need the help of a digital marketer who can do it for you. However, specific industries have more immediate benefits from using digital marketing strategies, such as food and beverage, travel, real estate, entertainment, retail, and the media industry. Here are some of the specific ways that these companies can use digital marketing:
-Food & Beverage: Restaurants and other food businesses will want to use social media like Instagram or Facebook to show off their menu items or hold contests.
-Travel: Attracting tourists is one of many ways that a destination or resort can benefit from an excellent digital marketing strategy.
-Real Estate: Real estate agents can set up beautiful listings online with pictures and videos of properties they hope to sell.
-Entertainment: Musicians, filmmakers, comedians—anyone in the entertainment industry needs to build an audience by having a solid online presence.
-Retail: One way that retailers can stay competitive is by setting up eCommerce websites where
PROS AND CONS OF TRADITIONAL MARKETING
- It’s more personal and authentic than digital marketing. (In fact, research indicates that consumers prefer traditional marketing over digital.)
- It quickly conveys brand personality and provides an opportunity to engage consumers differently.
- There are no geographical boundaries like online ads (which require internet access).
- Traditional marketing can target specific audiences.
- It can help you reach audiences in your local area
- It is usually cheaper than digital marketing
- You can use it for long-term campaigns
- It is easy to measure the effectiveness of the campaign
- It was expensive! The cost of printing materials like flyers, brochures, posters, etc., can add up quickly.
- If you’re planning an event, additional costs are involved with venue rental and catering.
- You have no control over who will see your ads—they could fall into the wrong hands or go unnoticed.
WHAT KINDS OF DEMOGRAPHICS DO TRADITIONAL MARKETING APPEAL TO
Traditional marketing appeals to the older generation, which is used to reading newspapers and magazines, watching TV, and listening to the radio. For them, it’s their primary source of information and entertainment. In addition, they’re used to seeing advertisements on television and in print, so they tend not to ignore them as much as younger generations do.
HOW THIS MARKETING STRATEGY CAN BE USED FOR YOUR BUSINESS
Many businesses use traditional marketing strategies to draw in new customers and spread awareness about their products and services. It often involves the creation of conventional advertisements on platforms like radio, television, newspapers, and magazines. However, you don’t need to hire an advertising agency or spend money on ads to use traditional marketing.
Many small business owners can take advantage of this type of marketing strategy by using targeted mailings that include sales letters, postcards, product samples, newsletters, and other materials. As a result, traditional marketing remains a practical option for small business owners with limited budget resources.
HOW DOES COSTING WORK FOR THIS TYPE OF MARKETING?
When you sign up for traditional marketing, there is an initial setup fee, and then we charge a rate per hour as we produce your content. It works by making a strategy for how much time it will take to create your marketing materials based on the information you give us about what you need and what you would like. First, we’ll create a quote that will show you exactly how you will spend much time building your materials. Then, once everything is approved, we’ll start creating the content for you. Of course, you can always cancel, but we usually require at least 30 days’ notice before cancelling services.
HOW LONG DOES TRADITIONAL MARKETING GENERALLY TAKE – WHEN DO YOU START TO SEE RESULTS?
The length of time it takes to see results with traditional marketing varies depending on what kind of campaign you’re running. For example, a holiday promotion will usually be a few weeks long. And depending on the type of holiday promotion, you might start to see results immediately. Generally speaking, though, a traditional marketing campaign can take months to start showing results for your business. Here’s what you can expect:
Print ads in magazines and newspapers have a longer lead time than most other media, so you’ll begin to see results from these campaigns about 1-6 months from when they run.
Direct mail pieces have a short lead time, so you’ll begin to see results from these campaigns about 1-2 weeks from when they’re sent out.
PROS AND CONS OF DIGITAL MARKETING
Digital marketing allows you to target a specific audience and market your brand, products or services to them online. It’s a cost-effective way of promoting your business and can help you reach a wide range of new customers.
- Convenience. You can update digital advertising with new content in real-time. It allows the user to run ads that have an immediate reaction from consumers—just as soon as they see them.
- Cost-effective. Compared to other advertisement methods, digital marketing is less expensive, and you can often see results immediately.
- Measurable. With digital marketing, you can see exactly how many people saw your ad and how many clicked on it. You can also track their behaviour once they click, so you know whether or not your ad led to your desired result.
- Highly targeted. Digital ads allow for smart targeting, which means you only pay when someone clicks on your ad and visits your site. With traditional advertising methods, you pay whether or not a consumer is interested enough to click through or call you.
Here are some of the most significant downsides to consider:
- Growing competition: The number of companies vying for customers’ attention is growing, making it increasingly difficult for any company to stand out from the crowd.
- Experienced staff: Companies need people with an aptitude for digital marketing and an understanding of how it works. People who only know traditional advertising methods will not be able to reach their full potential in a digital world.
- Consumers are constantly connected: In today’s world, people have access to information through their smartphones and tablets, making it difficult for marketers to get their message across effectively if they don’t understand how these devices work.
- High cost of entry: Digital marketing requires investment in time and resources, which can be costly for companies that do not have the necessary expertise in-house.
- Constant changes: The digital world is constantly changing, so companies need to be prepared to adapt their marketing strategies to keep up. It can be a challenge for some businesses that are not used to making frequent changes.
MORE TIME-EFFICIENT- TRACK RESULTS:
Digital marketing is more time-efficient than traditional marketing because it is easier to track results. For example, you instantly know how many people have seen your ad and then click on it. With traditional marketing, you can’t track down a customer and ask them where they heard about you. And likewise, you cannot take a print ad and remove it from circulation if you find it isn’t working for you. With digital marketing, all that’s in your control!
WHAT MORE INFORMATION CAN YOU GET FROM DIGITAL COMPARED TO TRADITIONAL MARKETING?
Digital marketing allows businesses to track the success of their campaigns. It is an advantage because when using traditional marketing, there is no way to track results unless the company chooses to further invest in research.
Digital marketing makes it easier for businesses to understand how specific strategies work and what they should improve. It also provides companies with a new platform, which they can use to test out different methods until they find the one that works best for them. In addition, digital marketing helps companies save money by allowing them to spend on advertisements that are directed toward customers who are most likely to convert.
SOME REASONS WHY DIGITAL MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOUR BUSINESSES
Digital marketing might not be for you. Here are some reasons why it might not work for your business:
YOU DON’T HAVE THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO IMPLEMENT IT:
The people in your organisation should be focused on digital marketing, and they should know what they are doing. If you don’t have the right people on board, then you won’t be successful with digital marketing.
YOUR SALES CYCLE IS TOO SHORT OR TOO LONG:
If your sales cycle is short, then you probably won’t get enough time to invest in building a strong online presence.
YOU DON’T HAVE THE BUDGET:
Digital marketing requires time and money, but if you don’t have either one, then it’s probably not worth it for you to do this type of marketing.
YOU ARE NOT SALES DRIVEN:
If your company isn’t focused on making sales, you won’t get much out of digital marketing because there won’t be any return on investment (ROI).
YOUR COMPANY DOESN’T WANT TO BE OPEN WITH CUSTOMERS:
Suppose you don’t want to share information about your business with customers. In that case, digital marketing will not be successful for you because it relies heavily on transparency and open communication between companies and consumers.
WHAT IS THE DEMOGRAPHIC FOR DIGITAL MARKETING?
The demographic for digital marketing is anyone with an internet connection. Digital marketing is a broad term that can describe any form of marketing (and advertising) done through the interneInterneter to reach people online. The interneInternetpace, where anyone can access it, can go, look up information, buy things, and interact with others.
Digital marketing allows marketers to reach people globally in a way that was never before possible. Here are some demographics you might want to consider when planning your digital marketing campaign:
- Education level
DIGITAL MARKETING VS TRADITIONAL MARKETING – WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE
The critical difference between traditional and digital marketing are as follows:
- Marketing has traditionally promoted products and services through traditional channels like radio, television, and newspapers. However, in recent years, Digital Marketing has emerged as a new way to reach consumers. It involves using online marketing channels and tactics to sell products and services.
- In digital marketing, there is no barrier between you and the customer. A customer can directly interact with you by giving his feedback in comments or reviews. It allows you to understand their needs better and adequately serve them. In the case of traditional marketing, you have to rely on secondary data like surveys done by companies or other similar organisations.
- Digital marketing is cost-effective compared to traditional marketing because it allows you to reach a larger audience at reduced costs. It has low setup costs than conventional media, making it an attractive option for businesses with a limited budget.
- While traditional marketing is done with a one-way message, digital marketing is dynamic and allows for two-way communication.
- Digital marketing is more efficient than traditional marketing when turning prospects into leads. It is because digital marketing relies on data-driven advertising, which shows people ads based on their likes and interests. It helps create more qualified leads.
- Customer engagement is the interaction between a customer and a company through different online or offline channels. As such, customer engagement is higher in digital marketing than in traditional marketing.
- Digital marketing offers a higher ROI than traditional marketing because it is easier to track. It is possible to calculate the return on investment for digital marketing campaigns, while it is more challenging to do so for traditional marketing.
- With conventional marketing, viewers are stuck watching ads; however, people can avoid or skip the ads that don’t apply to them with digital marketing. This makes it a more user-friendly form of marketing.
- Digital marketing is less expensive and more effective than traditional marketing.
- Digital marketing makes it easy to keep track of a customer’s origins, the most popular products, how many buyers are interested in a product, and more. You can’t track customers with traditional marketing techniques.
- Traditional Marketing involves standardised methods to target customers. This type of marketing is done through mass marketing, which means minimal personal touch. Digital marketing does not rely on personalisation as much. It only shows customers the products they have recently shown interest in or have been searching for online.
- Traditional marketing involves placing an ad and hoping that consumers like it. However, with tweaking, you can change your ad based on how the consumers react. This makes it possible to target the audience more effectively and get better results.
- Local marketing is limited by its focus on a specific geographical area. Ads only reach people where they are shown, so the potential for a wider audience is limited.
WHICH ONE IS BETTER FOR YOUR BUSINESS
The answer is both. Digital marketing and traditional marketing are two different methods of promoting your website, products and services. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but they can help you get the results you want from your business when used together.
The main difference between digital marketing and traditional marketing is that digital marketing uses the Internet’s customers. In contrast, traditional marketing relies on offline methods such as print advertisements, radio ads and TV commercials.
HOW CAN YOU USE THEM TOGETHER TO OPTIMISE YOUR RESULTS?
Using digital and traditional marketing together is a great way to optimise your results. You will want to start with having a website or landing page and then use traditional marketing to drive traffic to that site. For example, you could put your website address on business cards, flyers, brochures and even on the back of shirts. Then you can use digital marketing strategies like SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) to get people to find your website or landing page when they search for you or your business on Google. Also, using paid ads on Facebook, Youtube and Google Ads can help you get more sales and grow faster than organic methods alone.
WHY YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT OUTSOURCING YOUR DIGITAL MARKETING TO AN AGENCY
There is too much for one person to manage:
There are so many moving parts to managing a complete digital marketing strategy. You put out the content to set up the ad campaigns and the SEO and ensure all of your social media accounts are managed correctly. If you don’t have enough time in the day or resources in-house, it is helpful to save some time and outsource.
Agencies have experience across industries:
It is hard for one person to get experience in various industries and be able to best manage a company’s digital marketing strategy based on what is happening in their industry. However, an agency can use its experience across other clients and initiatives to better understand how to set up the right campaigns for your audience and industry.
You get access to creative in-house teams:
In addition to expertise in digital marketing and paid advertising, agencies have creative teams that can help design ads, write copy, and create infographics and other content that they can leverage on social media platforms or your website.
You get access to cutting edge technology:
Our clients enjoy the latest software and tools that agencies often use. It also means they don’t have to spend time training employees on how to use new software, and they don’t have to worry about the cost of keeping up with the latest technology.
We can brainstorm ideas together:
Marketing is usually a collaborative process, so clients enjoy having a partner who can help them develop ideas and execute them. Marketing agencies also know what’s working in the industry today, which allows them to advise clients on what is most likely to lead to success.
We can make sure everything is integrated and consistent:
Advertising across multiple channels requires a lot of time and effort. Working with an agency makes it easier for businesses to ensure that all aspects of their marketing strategy are aligned and consistent.
When running a business, it’s essential to understand which kind of marketing will work best for your product or service. Traditional marketing methods can be effective, but they often cost significantly more money and require the business owner a more significant time commitment. Digital marketing is much more attractive because it requires little investment, requires less time to manage, and it can generate sales for the business. However, it’s a digital world, and companies need to pay attention to how they market themselves.
If you’re looking for help with digital marketing, consider looking no further than a full-service digital marketing agency. At We Are Marketable Agency, we have the experience and knowledge to guide your business to success. With over 20 years of experience and thousands of satisfied clients, we are confident that we can help you reach your goals.
We Are Marketable is a Nottingham-based digital marketing agency with over a decade’s experience in growing businesses & brands online across multiple industries. We have extensive experience in the B2B and B2C markets, and we offer services SEO, PPC, Social Ads, and Sales Funnel. Contact us today. Call 0115 882 9950